Summer quilting lessons part 1

I was asked to teach two separate lessons on patchwork quilting.  The first was August 1 and 2 over at the local Bible school.  Six ladies came with their machines. The class was 8 hours over two days.  I had prepared several quilt blocks for each of them to sew together.  One lady was really fast in assembling her blocks while the others were much slower.  They each carefully measured and drew the seam allowances and slowly stitched them.  On the second day these four had just four blocks finished so I gave them suggestions on what to do with those.  A couple made a 4 block sampler and two decided to make   individual finished blocks, like a large mug rug. The last lady chose some fabrics and stitched them in a checkerboard pattern.  I believe they were pleased with the results.  


Looking back, if I do this again, I would do something much simpler.  This class dealt with mainly triangles.  Perhaps doing just squares and rectangles would be better for beginners.  We shall see if I get asked next year to teach another class.    :-)

No comments: