My latest creations

I've been busy preparing items for a class I am teaching in two weeks.  While handbags are not on the agenda, I've made several over the last couple of weeks just trying out patterns.


This is the front side with a button accent.  It actually closed with magnet snaps in the middle.  The bottom photo is the back side with zipper pocket.  
This first is called Harmony from the Studio Kat Designs http://www.studiokatdesigns.com/

I used summer yukata fabrics I had collected some 10 years ago and never used for even a quilt.  These were perfect for showcasing the floral designs on this style handbag.  It took two weeks for me to figure out sewing the pattern in all the proper steps, but the final product is really cute. 

This is the interior with another yukata fabric--so fresh and cool looking, desu ne?

I also made a Porta Pocket insert from the same company.  This is made from two fabrics I received from Noseh-san when she visited Senegal last year.   It has plenty of pockets, space for pens, a zipper pouch and can be lifted out and placed intact into another handbag.  Saves all kinds of time and not forgetting something.

These next projects I made in about 2-3 hours apiece over four days.  I was on a roll and just used the yukata fabric for the liner.  Very simple tote bags with handles and sometimes a button enclosure and pockets inside.

Simple tote in nine patch both sides in patriotic colors.
These are two different bags using the same yukata material.
                                 The black in these is actually a deep navy blue.
Here is the lining for both of the above bags from the same yukata fabric.  It has a pocket.
This one is a patchwork bag made from 20 different squares and the same lining.
This dog tote was made from a panel I bought maybe 3-4 years ago.  It is so cute!



FYI, yukata and kimono fabric comes on rolls about 18 inches wide and 12 meters (14 or so feet) long, so there's lots to play with.

I think that's enough for handbags for a few days.  What do you think of these?

1 comment:

Ozjane said...

Looking good...I love making bags.almost finished one for a friend and have two half made.