Thursday, May 6


Trip to USA blog

May 6, flights
Henry and Sara took me to the bus on Rokko Island to catch the bus to the Kansai Airport. It was a smooth trip, no traffic and we got there about 10:00 am right in front of the Delta Airlines ticket counter. The flight to Tokyo was on time, smooth, and took a little over an hour. There was plenty of time to get the plane to Detroit at gate 23. Due to mechanical problems, everyone had to move to gate 15—where all 300 of us waited for that plane to be prepared. We were to take off at 3:00 pm, but finally departed 3:45. The plane was full, there were several small children who cried frequently enough; the movies were really boring. I just saw them, did not hear them. Anyway, the food was good and I got a window seat.

It was one of the smoothest flights I have ever been on, PTL.
However, since we left late, it got to Detroit 30 minutes late which meant that I could not get the connecting flight departing at 3:15, so they rebooked me on a 5:15 flight.

We arrived at Reagan National Airport on time. After collecting luggage, I found the Metro and boarded the commuter train out to Branch Avenue Station in Maryland. I have not ridden the Metro since 1983 when I quit work downtown. I was impressed at the cleanliness and organization of the stations, albeit I thought they were a bit dark, but easily accessible with my heavy luggage. Arrived at the station about 8:00 and Matt picked me up about 15 minutes later.

We then went to the church where the graduation ceremony was just ending so we waited in the gym area where the reception was held.

The first one I met was Barbara Jo. Same as ever. Then Carlton who heads the Reformers Unanimous ministry. Dr. Creed and his wife came in later (he married Henry and me nearly 27 years ago). Talked to the Tellos, a sweet, faithful couple from Peru. He made our wedding rings. They could remember my face but not the name off hand, but recognized it when told. I met the Redigers, Ken and Mary Gill, Pastor Connor, the Strouds, David and Terry Long, soon going to the Caribbean to start a church. It was so good to see familiar faces.

I am staying in the basement apartment of Rick and Brenda Dove. It is really a beautifully-decorated place.

And so thus ended the first day of travel—about 26-28 hours for me. I think I will go to bed now.

No comments: