Saturday, June 5


This morning we went over to my soon-to-meet-for-the-first-time friend Linda's house, which we could see from the parking lot. Linda has one of her young grandsons living with her, plus a small dog who likes to jump all over you, in a friendly way. Sara stayed outside to pet the dog and Henry and I went inside and we chatted for a time. Linda and I were to meet at Paducah two years ago, but I had decided at that time to skip the evening class I was going to take and did not get in touch with Linda and let her know. Some problem with cell phones. Anyway, she went and I was not there, but she was given a goodie bag by Eleanor Burns. Linda had saved it for me and it is loaded with lots of little things made by the Japanese company Clover. I will have fun putting those into a quilt someplace.

Linda and grandson Alexander
 

She brought out her love quilt that the IQ group had made for her many years ago and found the block I made. It is still a pretty quilt. Callie had done the quilting on her long-arm machine. 


 Quilt squares on the buildings

We wanted to go see the Christ Camp for the Blind which I think is less than 30 minutes from Berea, but when she called, Mike as in Lexington and would not be back until after 4:00 pm, so we are not able to see that; much as I would have liked to. Years ago I made 10 quilts for their campers, along with many other ladies from the IQ list.


 

So instead, Linda took us into "downtown" Berea where we saw some of the local crafters. The first was a lady that went to high school with Linda. She makes glass beads that are really beautiful and gave us a demonstration. On her wall is a posted sign: "Real Women do not have hot flashes, they have power surges" The name of her company is Hot Flashes.

 
We walked over to the next building and met a lady who told us about Berea's Sister City exchange with a city in Japan near Mt. Fuji. They have been doing that for 15-20 years.

Next we went over to the former railroad station and saw a demos of model trains. Rather spiffy.

 
Of course, there was a quilt shop across the street, so I went in and found some 90 inch wide fabric for $5 a yard, and some Dick and Jane alphabet for $7. A good find, if I do say so.


After this we ate lunch at the Cracker Barrel. Henry and I split a chicken roast dinner that was enough for two people. Sara had chicken fingers, her current favorite. It was delicious, as usual.

 
We parted about 2:00 pm and headed south to Chattanooga and arrived there about 6:00 pm at the Leonard's.

No comments: