Friday, July 23, 2010


Henry worked on Matthew's computer getting it updated while at the Library. It took several hours to do and Henry upgraded his virus software and some other stuff. Neither of us rode the bus for VBT tonight; I was plumb tired and had to do some packing. It is still up in the air about our return to California as we did not hear from Peter yet.

  While I was at the library at a table, there was a young black teen sitting at the next table. His tutor comes in, an older black lady, to help him with some project. After a few minutes a young black boy, probably about 12, comes up to them and asks if he could have a dollar to get something to eat from the vending machine. The other teen starts to pull out his wallet. Then the teachers says, "Wait a minute, wait a minute. Do you know him? Do you know me? How can you ask a stranger for money? Don't you feel ashamed?" I worked hard for my dollar. Why should I give it to you?" This was all said in a low whisper, she was not loudly chewing him out. The boy just mumbled something, said sorry, and moved on. I was going to commend the teacher later, but some friends came in and she left with them. I wanted to applaud her for telling the kid it was wrong to panhandle. More than once one our trip we have had people ask us for money so they could get something to eat. Adults. We would take them to a place and buy them something, but not give them money. They did not want that; just the money. No wonder kids are not ashamed to do just as their parents. 


  At VBT tonight I talked with one young girl and she prayed to ask Jesus in her heart. I told her aunt later and she said the girl had been asking questions. Pray for Laniyah, 6, to grow in her Christian life.

No comments: